About Me

My photo
Hello, I’m Toni Love, and I live in an unbelievable chaotic space know as my life. I’m first generation,born in the UK, of West African descent. I was married, became a mum, and divorced all before I was 25, and have spent the last 10 years keeping it all together. In my former life I was a copy writer for one of the big 5 firms (or 4 I think it is now). Anyway, after a career break to raise my son, on my return I found I was all sloganed out! I moved into the corporate world then, and started my own consultancy. I have a 9 year old son, Barry, who recently went off to boarding school abroad, and a cat called Snowy who prefers the company of my neighbour's to mine, thus making me “petless” and child free. It was only then I took stock and realised the nothingness of it all; a sort of mini life crisis. I have decided to shake things up a bit. I miss writing, so that’s why I blog, I need new direction, new goals and new objectives. I’m thinking a change in career, a new pastime, relocation and a nice gentleman friend to ice the cake! (Why not put it out there! ;o) Thank you for joining me on this journey. I welcome comments, suggestions or any ideas on postings! Enjoy the ride! 

Wednesday 19 June 2013

A Great City


On the map
I have become very fond of Edinburgh. As far as cities go it is up there with some of the best I’ve been to. What I like about it most is everything is accessible, and in terms of numbers of trees per square meter I’m sure it’s quite high up there on the list. The weather was fantastic and the city is well geared for alfresco dining. The food is delicious and reasonably priced, which is just as well, as it is known a Scotsman and his money are seldom parted!

Haggis Neeps and Tatties with whisky sauce


A tale of a few cities
I cannot say I am well-travelled within the UK but the few places I have been to include Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Bristol , Swansea and Cardiff. The people I meet in these cities all seem to be in awe of my capital city credentials, whether they are drawn to the capital themselves or simply admire the people who live in it. Speaking to the folks in Edinburgh, as soon as I mention I live in London, they almost look at you in pity as if to say, “Aah ya poor lass, not to worry you’re here now!” Its really interesting.  



In terms of shops there are the main shops, which can be found on every High Street in the UK, as well as a huge number of boutiques, which are a stylists dream! From bespoke kilt shops to fashionable milliners, I stumbled across this amazing vintage shop where I could spend the whole day rummaging, finding everything from vintage C&A to Hobbs (and everything in between).

An amazing vintage shop
So, Tart knows I have a thing about churches so he makes a point of taking me to some really pretty ones, usually for Sunday service but on this occasion we went to Greyfriars to see a famous grave of the owner of Greyfriars Bobby.

 
 
A Man's best friend
The story goes back to the 1858 when a local policeman, John Gray, known as Auld Jock, adopted a Skye Terrier to be his guard dog whilst out on patrol. He and the dog were the best of friends until Auld Jock was taken seriously ill. After a deathbed vigil, Bobby’s owner sadly past away. Then for the next 14 years Bobby guarded Auld Jock’s grave until the day he died. It is a true story, a very moving tail on loyalty; I must be honest my eyes did well up whilst reading about this super dog. I had a Yorkshire terrier who I absolutely adored and still miss. Terriers are a lovely breed. 

After a lovely alfresco lunch we went off to the whisky festival, which was very interesting with lots of different whiskies to try (too many, perhaps). I have a new found respect for this drink, knowing how much time and energy goes into producing the good stuff.  I am now converted, and now, after red wine, whisky is my drink of choice; so long gin and tonic! 
 
Red Lights
Anyway, Tart had to rush off and I was chaperoned by his friend Ned, who felt it was essential for me to experience the other side of their great city. So off we went to the “pubic triangle.” (I laughed out loud too); this mini red light district is in the shadows of Edinburgh castle and consists of three exotic dance “clubs” (I use this term very loosely). Ned insisted we pull a hat trick and visit all three, and not wanting to be a bad sport I went along with it. The first turned out to be a tiny pub (20 ft. by 20 ft.) with little cubicles where one-to-one shows were put on; the next was a want-to-be Stringfellows joint with neon lights and chrome; the final one was the piece de resistance, as it was very high tech with TVs, strobe lights and oversized sofas. “WHY ON EARTH WOULD A GOOD CHRISTIAN GIRL VISIT SUCH AN ESTABLISHMENT,” I hear you cry. It is simple curiosity. I am curious by nature, so I went along with it. I must say the ladies were lovely, very friendly whilst I asked them a ton of questions! I guess I had a stereotype of the ladies who worked in this industry but I have been proven so wrong.

Enjoying a Whisky talk!
All in all it was a lovely stay; the weather, food and company were all great. Unfortunately, my training has been put on the backburner, which is pretty bad as I leave for Peru in 5 days!!!
GULP.

No comments:

Post a Comment